The Writer

My photo
Iceland
Had fun alliterating my way through the alphabet, twice. Aspirations to become a writer one day, poems will suffice for the moment.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

L is for Limerick. A-Z Challenge 2015


Limerick 
is a rhymed humorous, nonsense poem.

Here are some fun examples:

A flea and a fly in a flue
Were imprisoned, so what could they do?
Said the fly, "let us flee!"
"Let us fly!" said the flea.
So they flew through a flaw in the flue.
-Ogden Nash


A wonderful bird is the pelican
His bill can hold more than his belican
He can take in his beak
Food enough for a week
But I'm damned if I see how the helican.
-Dixon Merrit


Hickory dickory dock,
the mouse ran up the clock;
the clock struck one
and down he run;
hickory dickory dock. 
-Mother Goose

-Miss Bates.

3 comments:

  1. The Mother Goose one's my favourite. I'm working on a variation of Humpty Dumpty for a photoblog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edward Lear wrote dozens of limericks. He is the person I most often associate with the word. There is a second verse to the pelican one, I had it quoted at me once, but never heard it again.

    ReplyDelete




Feel inclined to indulge in words that intrigue.